Teaching Philosophy

I bring a lot of creativity to my class. All subjects can be interesting and exciting if you make it fun for the students.

My main interests revolve around the stereotypical boring classes: Math, Science, and History. This will benefit me, particularly when I am working with students who have little to no interest in the subject areas because I can present them in ways that can relate to the students, and in ways that make the subject interesting and fun. Using my creativity, I will also create a stimulating classroom environment that will aid me in teaching the students.

I do not expect my students to be able to sit through an entire class, and maintain a full attention span throughout. I believe in keeping the students engaged and moving by taking brain breaks, and planning active lessons because “if the bum is numb, the brain’s the same”. If I cannot do it, I cannot expect my students to do it.

I uphold several key pedagogical principles:

  1. A safe and positive atmosphere. It is a necessity that all students are comfortable in my classroom. They will not be afraid to ask or answer questions because every right and wrong answer is a learning opportunity. This atmosphere also allows my students to be their selves without judgement from their teachers or peers.
  2. Improvising. It is okay to improvise portions of lessons. When 60% of a lesson is planning, and the other 40% is improvisation it allows for the students to be involved in the lesson, and learn from each other.
  3. All education is environmental education. What we choose to teach, and what we don’t teach have an equal reflection on the importance of topics. It is essential that students spend time outdoors, and learn about our environment.
  4. Potential. Every single student has the potential to learn regardless of learning abilities.
  5. Equality. Every culture is equally important, and it should be reflected in the classroom.
  6. Treaty Education. It was mandated for an important reason, and can be easily incorporated into every class. The history of the treaties should be as commonly taught as the history of Canadian confederation.
  7. Relation to the real world. Every subject relates to the world surrounding us, and when it is taught in this way it is easier for the students to relate to the subject matter, and therefore it is easier to become engaged.
  8. Inclusion. It is necessary that every student is included and engaged in the lessons being taught. Every lesson in every class can be adjusted in order to include every learner in your classroom.
Advertisements